Description of Project:
In this project, I prototyped, designed, CADed, and 3D printed a COVID-19 safety device. I had seen many contact safety devices with a very similar design. I wanted to create my own version of the safety tool.
Purpose of Project:
The purpose of this project was to put more content out there on COVID-19 safety devices that people can easily make if they have access to a 3D printer. I also simply wanted to work on a CAD and 3D printing project. Another small reason for this project was to upload more CAD files to my Myminifactory and Thingaverse accounts. I had definitely accomplished the purpose of this project although I think the device is pretty useless for real world common use. I don’t think this is due to my design, I think it is due to the nature of the product and the fact that people are lazy.
I’d say that the hardest thing with this mini project was defining critical dimensions. By critical dimensions I mean the length of the tool, the size of the finger hole, etc. Besides that, it was a pretty relaxed project.
The aspects that are applicable to my process are the way I developed the design I came up with, I had seen other designs of this same device and I thought that they needed to be more ergonomic. I had that very idea in mind when I was prototyping. My prototyping was the following: I sketched out profiled of the shape and cut them out of cardboard. I then stacked a couple of those cutouts out and tested it out. It was here were I decided on critical dimensions. I then sketched similar profiles out using CAD software (Onshape) and and extruded those profiles. I then used fillets to align with the idea of making the design more ergonomic. Once I had the file, I sliced it on slicer software (Cure) and ran the print on my 3D printer. To finish it off, I tied a cord through it with the intent to put it on a keychain.